Pictures from the June 2015 Graduation Recital are now online. Thanks to all of the students, teachers, and board members who participated and helped make this event possible!
Sunday, June 7, 2015
Monday, April 20, 2015
The March 2015 SMAC-SDB Newsletter is now available online. Please click here to access it.
Sunday, October 6, 2013
The California Suzuki organization has been around for 38 years. In 1977, two Los Angeles teachers, Elizabeth and Harlow Mills, envisioned an organization to coordinate statewide activities and came up with the name “Suzuki Music Association of California.” The ease of communicating and organizing when everyone was within driving distance prompted our first San Diego group to apply for branch status.
According to Ms. Donna Lim, 1996 president of SMAC: As more teachers were attracted to the Suzuki Method, the levels of training grew wider. There was and continues to be, a concerted effort statewide to provide teacher training workshops for on-going training, with learning among our members as a matter of individual motivation. To date, there are eight branches representing more than 330 teachers in California.
SMAC-San Diego Branch wants to continue with the purpose of these early pioneers, and:
– Further the Suzuki concept of education in music and other subjects.
– Promote high standards of teaching, through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
– Endorse institutes and workshops for student and teacher training.
– Promote student activities, such as camps, festival concerts, graduation recitals, play-ins, etc.
– Raise money for scholarships through the annual Play-a-thon.
– Bring outstanding teachers to this area for teacher training and demonstrations.
– Make information available to the public, via the internet, about the Suzuki concept of education.
– Publish a newsletter for the exchange of ideas.
Please help keep our organization strong and ongoing by renewing your membership in a timely fashion, or joining as a new member.